Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Beer, Tebow and Crappy Food.


Last week I thought my posting was pretty good. This week I think it's gonna be a bit on the shorter side as I can't seem to get the mojo going...but who knows? A beer or two and I might be able to wax poetic. Speaking of beer, I came across a GREAT quote today by a guy named Luke Livingston who writes a blog about beer. He said in response to reports that Burger King and Starbucks are experimenting with serving beer at select locations - "The only thing Americans like better than cheap, crappy food is cheap, crappy beer!" I just find this incredibly funny...and true. Find Luke and lots more about beer at his blog "A Blog About Beer". I think I'll create a permanent link off to the side for you to get to his little piece of the web.

As I opined last week that it might not be the best brand-positioning move, Tim Tebow's upcoming appearance in a Super Bowl ad for Focus on the Family is raising hackles.

Not only that but I'd mentioned some NFL draft gurus had been talking about him not going very early in the draft. Looks like maybe he's doing that to himself. Seems at workouts for the Senior Bowl he's had trouble taking a conventional snap from under center. I certainly hope he can get his act together as he genuinely seems like a good kid who can prove to be an antidote to many of the shenanigans we see from professional athletes these days. However, the ruckus being raised over his advertisement can only serve as a further distraction to this durable gunslinger.


If, like me, you're in the Central Jersey area and are a bit of an architecture aficionado, like me, I highly suggest you take a trip over to Hightstown and check out the new pool at The Peddie School. It must be nice to have money because this ain't just a Butler Building with a cee-ment pond in it. Don't get me wrong, Butler Buildings are fantastic in that they serve a purpose but when you can afford not to look at the price tag you get some nice options. Like the all-glass skin that is lit blue at night, looking like the Beijing Olympics Water Cube in miniature.


The news release from the schools states "At 35 meters long and 25 yards wide, the pool can accommodate 15 lanes while utilizing an eco-friendly filtering system that will save thousands of gallons of water. The structure, designed by the architectural firm RMJM Hillier, uses many materials and products that decrease energy consumption and deliver daylight to the building's interior spaces." 


I've been watching the construction progress for the past year as I drop off and pick up my son from swim practice at Peddie each evening and am excited for his club team, Peddie Aquatics, to move over from the old Sprout Pool. It's a great addition to our area and continues the strong tradition of swimming at the school and club which includes among it's alumni Nelson Diebel, double Olympic Gold Medal winner at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, 2000 Olympic Gold Medalist BJ Bedford as well as several other Olympians. By the way, if you're wondering which pic is which, the high-quality pic is the Water Cube. The one that looks better if you squint your eyes a bit is the one I took with my camera phone of the new Peddie Pool.




And I think that about wraps it up for this go-around. Not feeling hugely inspired this evening. I'll remember to eat my Wheaties for next week, especially when they come in this box...

One other thing...I can't figure out for the life of me why my pics sit just a tad higher than the text they are next to. Driving me crazy!! ARRGGHHH!!! Here in the editor all looks kosher, but hit the stupid "Publish Post" button and it all goes to hell. Such is life. On to bigger and better things this week! Put a smile on...it'll help you feel more positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment